During our migration from exchange 2003 to 2010 I ran into some issues with distribution list. Here?s some steps and gotchas that might help you though the process.
- Watch out for alias name on distribution list. Alias that worked in 2003 don?t work on 2010. Spaces and special characters.
- Upgrade the distribution list, this can be done via the GUI by just changing an attribute and when you go to save it you?ll see a message like this.
You can also use powershell with Set-DistributionGroup ?ForceUpgrade
- If your end users were managing the list in 2003 you?ll need to give them additional permissions on 2010 to manage list because of the new Role Based Access Controls (RBAC) This link has the step by step instructions on how to do it.
- Convert the distribution list to a Mail universal distribution
- Use the powershell command Set-Group ?id ?List Name? ?Universal ?DomainController <FQDN of DC from domain>